Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tuesday Treasure: The Valley of Vision

I skipped yesterday's blog because I had two children home ill and we ate takeaway from Marks and Spencer, which I find is a more economical option than takeaway from a restaurant, and generally just as good. If you're curious, I had the Thai red curry :)

Today I wanted to highlight a book that was introduced to me about ten years ago, when I lived in Connecticut and was attending a Presbyterian church. (Incidentally, we've run the gamut of churches--Episcopalian, Anglican, Presbyterian, and now Baptist!

In any case, the book is called The Valley of Vision and it's a collection of Puritan prayers.


And all I have to say is... those Puritans knew how to pray! Well, actually, that's not all I have to say. The prayers are meant as reflections or meditations, and there is quite a lot to reflect on, with beautiful imagery and poetry and no word wasted. Here is an example from a prayer about God being all-sufficient:

The world is before me this day,
and I am weak and fearful,
but I look to thee for strength;
If I venture forth alone I stumble and fall,
but on the beloved's arms I am firm as the eternal hills;
If left to the treachery of my heart I shall shame thy name,
but if enlightened, guided, upheld by thy Spirit,
I shall bring thee glory.
Be thou my arm  to support,
my strength to stand, my light to see,
my feet to run, my shield to protect,
my sword to repel, my sun to warm.

Reading these prayers quiets my soul and gives me great perspective on the days and weeks ahead, which sometimes as a mother of five with too many deadlines and worries, feel like a great big slog! So I was happy to read this prayer today and remember what it's really all about. 

No comments: