Monday, June 5, 2017

Monday Musings: When Life Throws You

So the last few weeks have not exactly happened the way I thought they would. As I mentioned before, two weeks ago I was hit by a car--while I was parked on the side of the street, a car went by and the wing mirror smashed my hand. There have been quite a few ups and downs since then--the down of agonizing pain, of course, followed by the up of discovering my fingers were not in fact broken, followed by the down of finding out I'd need stitches, and then the up of realizing my hand was actually fairly okay, considering it received a lot of impact--enough to crumple my car door. The nurse and doctors were amazed I hadn't actually lost my hand! And so that is a major up.

But two weeks on I'm realizing this is going to be an ongoing and perhaps permanent part of my life, and like the Grand Old Duke of York, that is neither up nor down. It's difficult to still have to do most things one handed, and, because of nerve damage to two of my fingers, to realize I might never regain the strength fully in my hand. There is a part of me that wishes I'd parked on the other side of the street, or that the woman who was driving the car (who is very nice) had looked where she was going a little more.

But life throws you surprises--some good, some bad. We plod along and then--wham1 (Literally, in my case!) something happens and you have to adjust. You have to accept. And that has been an interesting part of this unwelcome journey--accepting, especially as I get older, that you can only plod along without something happening for so long. And when it does happen? Whatever happens? It can be okay. YOU can be okay. And that, my friends, is the bet UP of all.

No comments: